Sunday 8 January 2012

Day 3, Trip to South point

South point.







Ok, before you get excited, the waves where not that good. The Groms however...







Today I traveled down south. The swell has dropped a fair bit and the west coast is now completely flat. Apparently the south always has a wave but its for the most part not as good. I will add however, surf is surf and when I saw even little lines on the horizon I was very happy. To get to the break you have to jump in off the rocks. Fairly straight forward but on a big day I imagine it would be a little harder. I was only dealing with 2ft surf so I got right in and paddled out with no issues. The bottom is coral again but its so worn away that its kind of flat and not dangerous. I think I scuffed my board once when duck diving but no damage was done.

The wave was very much a cross between Putsborough and Saunton. You could see the potential on a bigger day to be as consistent as Saunton although the power, or lack of, was much more like Puts. Not that this mattered to those who can RIP!! (See pics) The majority of waves were lefts although occasionally a good right would appear and seem much more powerful. Odd one?!


As for the locals…. Only met a few and they wernt interested in conversation at all. I guess they needed all their concentration for the huge airs they were planning! This is a huge contrast to the west coast. All in all I had a blast and was glad to be getting waves and watching some great surfing. I do however hope and prey for another west swell soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment